Sunday, December 9, 2007

What Are You Watching?

Me? The Hunt for Red October.

Great movie. I've watched it a few times actually.
When it first came out in theatres, but back then it didn't do so much for me. Then many, many years later. After reading the book.

Oh, yeah. The book.
I do so enjoy those Jack Ryan books. Then again, John Clark ain't no slouch either. In fact, Without Remorse is my favourite book in the series. It was suppose to be made into movie, too. Well, you know what they say ... Seeing is believing. And Hope Springs Eternal.

Anyway, this time, the movie is even better. I think its because I've developed ... ahem ... just a bit of an interest in naval aviation since the last time I watched it. Yeah, I know. I'm working on my understatement skills, can't you tell?

Suddenly a lot of it makes a lot more sense. Maybe not as good as Lex but a girl's got to take what she can get. Hey, can anyone picture Rhythms as a movie? But I digress.

Hunt for Red October. Great movie.

Great quotes.

"Ryan, some things in here don't react well to bullets." Yeah, like me. I don't react well to bullets.

The hard part about playing chicken is knowin' when to flinch.

Central Intelligence Agency... Now, there's a contradiction in terms.

[to himself, just before being lowered off a helicopter]
Jack Ryan: Next time, Jack, write a goddamn memo.

Heh.

I guess I will have to go back and reread all the books now. When I first started reading them, it was haphazard. In no particular order, just whenever I could find them. But now that I have my own personal collection, I can start over. At the beginning. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Funny thing, though. Interest in naval aviation notwithstanding, I really have no desire to go anywhere in a submarine. Would kill to get chance to check out the flight deck, take me up in a F-18 (please), really want to do that whole sky diving thing. But down there, in a sub ... nah, not so much.

No comments: