Monday, January 7, 2008

Jetstream ... Be Still My Beating Heart

I've never been one much for reality TV. I've watched the occasional episode of the occasional show here and there but that's about it. They really do nothing for me. I figure that if I want 'reality', I will look out the window. Or for that matter, I could just cast an eye around the living room.

But I see there's a new show coming out. Not a reality show per se but ...

Premiering Tuesday on the Discovery Channel, the eight-part documentary follows a handful of ambitious pilot trainees vying for a spot in Canada's most exclusive fight club.

"There's no shortage of people who dream of being air force fighter pilots, but there aren't that many who can actually cut the mustard," says Jetstream director Kelly McClughan. "There aren't that many who can cope with the physical demands, the mental demands, the emotional demands. It is incredible.

"Filmed in 2006 at CFB Cold Lake, Jetstream chronicles the experiences of seven students - one woman, six men - who reckon with rigorous and exhausting training in the 410 Tactical Fighter Squadron. Their day-to-day activities include intense flying missions in the military's $35 million CF-18 Hornet, simulator flights and ground school. The workload is intense, the geometry is mind-numbing, and the day is never done.

"There's no going home and kicking back and watching football," says McClughan.

Did I mention it's Canadian? The eight-part documentary follows a handful of ambitious pilot trainees vying for a spot in Canada's most exclusive fight club.

Tuesday. The Discovery Channel. I think I might just check it out. Care to join me?

Update: Looking for more Jetstream? Check out Check Six and Fight's On

No comments: