Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Ship of Life

This one's for you, doorkeeper.
Courtesty of Eileen

Along the shore I spy a ship
As she sets out to sea;
She spreads her sails and sniffs the breeze
And slips away from me.

I watch her fading image shrink,
As she moves on and on,
Until at last she’s but a speck,
Then someone says, “She’s gone.”

Gone where? Gone only from our sight
And from our farewell cries;
That ship will somewhere reappear
To other eager eyes.

Beyond the dim horizon’s rim
Resound the welcome drums,
And while we’re crying, “There she goes!”
They’re shouting, “Here she comes!”

We’re built to cruise for but a while
Upon this trackless sea
Until one day we sail away
Into infinity.
John T. Baker

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks......I loved this, had never heard it before.
It's so perfect. d

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

I, literally, just posted in the Cafe that I was missing you here. I'm glad you found this but I must confess, I 'borrowed' it from Eileen. :D