Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Life Well Lived

Two weeks. No newspapers. No TV news. Only the occasional dose of Lex.

It's amazing how cut off from the world you can feel while away on vacation. I commented the other day that the entire world outside a 100 mile radius could have ended and I might not have noticed.

But as I slowly begin to make my way back into the land of the living (pun somewhat intended) today, I note the passing of Eunice Kennedy Shriver. In all honesty, not something likely to raise much comment from me. Until I realized her legacy, that is. As one of the key founders of the Special Olympics.

Regular readers well know the special place the Games hold in my heart. As if that could ever be in any doubt...

So thank you, Ms. Shriver.

Whatever else you may accomplished in your time, this, alone, is enough to make me and my family eternally grateful.

4 comments:

Pogue said...

Welcome back!

Of all the Kennedy clan, her legacy will likely be the greatest.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Thanks Pogue. It's good to be back. I think. Except for the bills. And mail. And to-do-list from hell. And that kitchen table I still can't seem to find... ;-)

Pogue said...

Off topic, but the irony here is kind of amusing...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jbjzPEY0Y3bvRD335rGu_Z3KXoQw

In particular the part about Canadian doctors being accused of wanting an American style structure.

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Now, now, Pogue, it just so happens that I have that very article sitting on my desk. Was debating whether to post about that or do my free falling post first. Decisions, decisions... ;-)