Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Stress Reliever

My apologies for the light blogging since my return from Boston but things have been more than a little ... shall we say stressful ... here in Free Falling land.

Although I had a blast in Boston, my body, apparently, had a different take on the subject.  Meaning that I, not unexpectedly, felt myself starting to crash shortly after my return home.  Which was okay, I was expecting that and more than willing to live with it.

What I wasn't prepared to live with (although apparently I didn't have much say in the matter) was my husband's completely unexpected dismissal from his employment shortly after my return.  And not just any employment, but the job he's been at for the past 15 years.  Dismissed as in walk in to work one morning and hear the words "You might as well go home". Go home. With no notice.  No pay.  No nothing.

And, yes, before you go there, you're absolutely right - his (former) employer can't do that.  And he won't be allowed to do that although that is exactly what is happening at the moment.   And, just to put the icing on the cake, that job loss also resulted in the loss of our health insurance.

Can you say Fun, Fun, Fun?  Well, I can't. 

In addition to the fact that I've grown rather partial to paying our bills, we have very high drug costs.  Mostly because of me.  And those same drugs are what allow me to keep working.  So now what?

Yeah, I did mention it's been a bit stressful around here, haven't I?

And so now we reach the point of this post ... yes, believe it or not, there almost is one.

Moseying back through the blog the other day, I came upon this post.   This, which I hadn't played since my return from Boston.  Something made me click the Play button.  And I was so glad I did.

I have just discovered what I'm sure is destined to be my prime stress relievor at the moment - and, yes, I do realize that might make me a very pathetic individual.  But whatever works, I say. 

There's something about just singing along and belting out "I just wanna get you out of Teterboro.  We want to leave but they won't let us go.  Just heard on the radio, we're stuck in Teterboro" which is very, very good for the soul.  Go ahead.  Try it.  I will wait.

It might help, of course, that the Kit Kat was initially as taken with the video as I was and comes a'running the moment she hears the music.  For to sing along with her dear mother.  We do rather enjoy laughing at ourselves.

And so, for now dear friends, I can't but leave you with Mike and his feelings on Teterboro.

Which will have to take the place, at least for the moment, of my other blogging - that which I can't quite convince myself to do at the moment.  There's the whole issue of the white versus red poppy on Remembrance Day (there's no doubt a place for both but not in the same month and certainly not on the same day, says I),  Canada's sudden surprise unexpected (that's sarcasm by the way) decision to stay on in Afghanistan in a "non-combat" role until 2014 and the Supreme Court of Canada's latest decision setting out the fact that that we have no right to counsel during police interrogation.

Such is life. For the moment I appear to be the proud holder of an open-ended multiple return trip to Teterboro. Until we meet again, then ...

4 comments:

doorkeeper said...

O.....M......G......
(((((((((m)))))))))))))))
praying, and not feeling quite so sorry for myself this AM, thank you....and thanks for the Teeterboro, I NEEDED that this AM.
will be thinking of you...call if you need. Anytime. Day or night.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sleepy-Head: You know that I empathize with both your health situation and your hubby's loss of employment just before the holidays. In sum, I admire the heck out of you.

p.s.- when did the SCC decide on no legal counsel during police interrogation?? Was there ever a Canadian equivalent of Miranda v. California??

Michelle Morgan-Coole said...

Anon
Short and sweet answer comes from Wickipedia:

The right to counsel is guaranteed under Section Ten of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well as the right to habeas corpus.

In October 2010, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the right to consult a lawyer before or during interrogation is not absolute in Canada.[1] It said that importing US-style Miranda-rules was not in the interests of Canada. The ruling was a bare majority ruling, with a strenuous voiced minority opinion stating that it would lead to more false confessions and bad convictions.


BTW on a more amusing note re: my hubby's loss of employment - we received a letter from his employer's lawyer today. Care to take a guess as to who that is?

Kris, in New England said...

Oh M ... I don't know what to say. Hugs in abundance of course. Private e-mail on its way.